Best Therapeutic Listening Headphones 
Modern technological developments in the fields of medicine and healthcare reached a point where you can now treat many psychological and physical conditions using the sound waves.
Using specially arranged frequencies of sounds you can create effects that are therapeutic in nature for the listener.
This sound therapy is used to treat many different conditions:
- cerebral Palsy,
- visual motor related problems,
- social fear etc.
However, in order for you to gain maximum benefits from these therapeutic sessions, you need the right headphones too.
Why Do You Need Special Therapeutic Listening Headphones?
- 1 Why Do You Need Special Therapeutic Listening Headphones?
- 2 What Other Things Make Headphones Great Therapeutic Listening Headphones?
- 3 Therapeutic Listening Headphones – Top 3 That Meet the Requirements Well
Many people would argue that they can work with any headphones for their therapeutic listening programs but that’s not true. If you have subscribed to a program you will notice that they have special requirements from headphones for best effects.
They don’t tell you to buy special headphones just to make their program sound professional but there are practical needs for doing so. For example, during these therapies they play different types of tracks in the ears of the listeners. These tracks can range from certain natural sounds to mainstream pop songs.
In these tracks they have recorded special sounds. These could be clicking sounds, sounds of a chirping bird or falling water droplets etc. In order for these sounds to register properly in the head of the listener, their headphones have to meet certain standards. The most important requirement for therapeutic headphones is that their frequency range. It does not matter which therapeutic listening headphones you buy, their frequency range has to start from 20Hz and cover the 22,000Hz mark.
BONUS TIPS: Headphones with frequency ranges below 22,000Hz are not recommended for therapeutic listening because they might not be able to play many sounds with frequencies higher than this range.
What Other Things Make Headphones Great Therapeutic Listening Headphones?
There are certain requirements that almost any pair of headphones in the world should meet, not just the therapeutic listening headphones.
For example, your headphones should have proper cushioning not only on the ear cups but headband as well. Their design should conform to the shape and size of the listener’s head, ears and face.
For instance, if the headphones are too tight they will cause pain in temples and skull for the listener. High impedance rating is another factor you should be looking for in headphones meant for therapeutic listening.
Therapeutic Listening Headphones – Top 3 That Meet the Requirements Well
1. AmazonBasics Lightweight On-ear Headphones Review
As basic as they look at first glance, they get the job done like no other headphones. AmazonBasics headphones are available in 3 different colors: black, blue and white. They have proper cushioning and their selling point is definitely their price. Here are the most notable features of these headphones:
AmazonBasics Lightweight On-ear Notable Features
- They have noise canceling properties and an on-ear construction for maximum comfort and isolated listening experience.
- At this price range, they have an amazing frequency range starting from 12Hz and ending at 22,000Hz. This covers the basic frequency range requirements for most therapeutic listening headphones.
- Since you would want to take these headphones while traveling to keep therapy sessions going, the ear cups on these headphones rotate so you can store them flat and easy.
- There is ample cushioning on ear cups and the headband.
There is nothing fancy about these headphones but they cover the requirements of being therapeutic listening headphones. And this is what should matter the most to you when you are buying headphones for a specific purpose.
2. Vogek Foldable Headphones Review
Vogek foldable headphones look quite similar to AmazonBasics headphones in simplicity and minimalism. They are headphones for people on a budget but for therapeutic listening, they cover all the necessary requirements. Here are the most notable features of these headphones:
Vogek Foldable Headphones Features
- They have a frequency response range of 20Hz to 20,000Hz – the exact requirement most therapeutic listening headphones have.
- They have a minimalist design but with proper cushioning on the ear cups and headband.
- The headband can be adjusted to fit to the head size of the wearer.
- They do some noise canceling to provide an isolated listening experience.
- Swiveling ear cups make it easy for you to store the headphones in a flat position.
- They also have a high impedance rating of 32ohms.
These are one of the best and most affordable headphones you can get for therapeutic listening. The best thing is that they provide such a good frequency response range and impedance at such an affordable price.
3. Sony MDRZX110 Headphones Review
When talking about headphones, you can never ignore Sony. Sony is one of the best brands in the world when it comes to making headphones and other products that produce a sound listening experience. These Sony MDRZX stereo headphones are one of the most affordable headphones from the company but are perfect for therapeutic listening headphones. Here are the good features of these headphones.
Sony MDRZX110 Features
- They have a very minimalistic design just like the two other headphones on the list. This design is perfect for kids because they tend to start playing with any fancy features on the headphones.
- They have an amazing frequency response of 12Hz to 22,000Hz at such an affordable price.
- Not only do the ear cups of these headphones swivel but they rotate as well. This allows them to fold for easy storage options.
- The cable on the headphones is 1.2 meters in length with a tangle-free design.
- They have good cushioning on ears but no cushioning on the headband. However, with such a lightweight design they will be very unnoticeable on listener’s head.
There are two different versions available of these headphones. There is one with the microphone but it will cost you a bit more than the one mentioned here without the microphone.